+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kellet Kam AND Kite Kam

Kellet Kam AND Kite Kam

Chuman's KiteKam stuff on YouTube is beathtaking!
    If you haven't yet, checkout the 'frightcam' in the RelatedVideos column "Ham-It-Up! Capri25 Sail Round Down" complete with great irish round down music!

Could this be an ongoing thread?
    A CAMERA THREAD IN THE TECHNICAL FORUM?
    I know nothing about camera and camcorders.
    But I'll listen (& talk ttoo much.)
    Having a camera aboard (certainly in a waterproof housing) and knowing how to use it, tips,
    and know where to go for info, real deals, and friendly gear would be great.
    The improvisation on the kitekam thread is insprirational.

How about videoing underwater? Taking a look at what that BUMP is in the night - what that TENTACLE is attached to that's coming in over the sternrail. And maybe taking a cam deeper with scuba gear -
    which type gear would be required I guess for an anchor inspection?
    Seems to me this could be real basic.
    In the YouTube kitekam, the camera was under control, did not waver or bounce around in the wind - it went out and came back under control - the image was ALWAYS in focus. Exactly this is what is needed for the kelletkam....

Just a quick look on the net shows that even information is too specialized for me -
    along with the gear.
    AND the more speciallized, the more bucks.

I did find a place to begin at that might be useful:
    http:www.oceanoptics.co.uk/anintroductionto.html

And a search came up with an Aqua-Vu with Explorer Lights unit that LOOKS appropriate that has 100' of 'camera' cable attached to it that plugs into a 7" display on deck and a digital camera with 'built-in' lighting system in the water. (Well, not built-in - the lights are on stalks.) Has a 93 degree field.
    http://www.naturevisioninc.com
    In looking at the product manuals, the camera does go deep. But you only get and cannot make longer that 100' cord. I don't understand the pricing, you may have to buy components rather than the complete unit??
    There are well-hole cameras by the same maker that might be adaptable, altho the field of view may be limited, many viewing problems have to be overcome to see what is happening down a 3000 foot well. As with the game camera mentioned in another post they must share technology that might translate to a simple 50 to 200 foot bottom on a buoy line that's hardly ever a straight down shot. Maybe they custom.

{Just accessed an Aqua-Vu called the Quad ($549) that has four cameras giving a 360 view. THAT'S the idea! Lowered down the buoy line, you couldn't miss.} Graig's List?

It would be tre-cool to arrive, set the anchor, send down the camera to have a look, see that there's just chain coming out of the sand, and open a beer. WOW! peace

Looks like a model of this Aqua-Vu could be tried out right now for the anchor watch. It's marketed as fishing gear so maybe it's not over-priced yet. Might not be so versatile with that 100' restraint. But there's probably a wireless one coming soon.
    I'd love to actually see my anchor dragging....

But DIGITAL cameras that work above, at sea-level and below are here already.
    Not only can they work but play. A camera for all waters.
    Anybody have some wetworld skinny on this???
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    Just think you can now email your Mom a live video of your very own Ariel being used by a whale to scraped barnacles off his back...
    TUSCALAHA
    Last edited by ebb; 10-27-2007 at 05:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread