+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anodized interior aluminum

Anodized interior aluminum

There are 2 interior trim piece is that separate the bulkheads On the commander. Mine were a bit corroded. I had them dipped in a type of cleaner and polished. all of the original anodizing has been removed.

Do you think it is necessary to re anodize these pieces again? Could I put a clear lacquer spray on them? The anodizing will cost me around a hundred dollars. I was trying to avoid this charge although if the pieces will corrode and a few years I think I am better off anodizing them. maybe I could wax them instead?

Any thoughts on this guys?

Powder coat !

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Is that aluminum?

I think you're supposed to leave aluminum raw if you don't anodize it. It oxidizes and forms its own protective coat. Don't know how it will look after awhile.

In any event, those pieces aren't particularly valuable. You could buy replacement hollow-back rubrail in aluminum or stainless or even brass.

West Marine sells stuff made by Taco. Another company is

http://www.rubrails.com/aluminum_half_oval.html

You're talking about the metal on the outside edge of the bulkhead, right?

Mine was OK, except down by the cabin floor
    Attached Images  

Commander Pete my boat looks exactly like the interior of your boat, minus the extra shelfs!

Yes I am referring to The same trim that you are.

I wanted to keep the boat as original as possible, so I had the original pieces refurbished. Someone had also screwed holes in the trim, so I had them welded and polished. They looked perfect now!

I was hesitant to install them without any protective covering. I am tempted to just wax them and install them as it is. Yours look very shiny, perhaps more than the original pieces, did you polish yours?

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Nah, just wiped them down a bit.

Sure, give 'em some wax, what the hell.

Don't know anything about powder coating

Powder coating is a relatively permanent coating available in any color and is usually a polyester. The aluminum is charged, the powder is blown on and adhers evenly and then it is melted in an oven. What is great about it is that is is a nontoxic process with no fumes or solvents.
    The transformation can be rather startling as it was for me with 338's window frames.
    While powder coating is a newer process, it has been around for 40 years or so.
    Think there have been many variations of methods and materials in A/C's, so what is "original' may be what was available at the time when the boat was assembled.
    Last edited by ebb; 09-03-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Pictures guys, pictures!

CPete? How about some glamor shots of your little beaut already?? I mean, jeeze, you've gone to the trouble of painting your mast, but have have yet to show us the BIG picture! Also, I'd like to know specifics on how you redid your chain plates. That's quite a tidy little ship you've got there!

Ebb, please post pictures of yor "powder coated" window frames - or if you have already, please point me in the general direction so that I might peruse?

Thanks!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Mike, Bill got a shot of an outside frame being tried on page 9 of ebb's gallery (post 124).

Is a metallic bronze finished off with an extra clear coat. It was a 'house' color, so I got a better deal. Don't really know what stage of bronze patina it represents, but I liked it.

The deal included the small forward opening ports with all their pieces. I really like them, wish they really were bronze! The aluminum came back everything coated including filling repairs on pitted corrosion and extra holes etc done with Caswell's regular Lab Metal.

Asked the shop to be sure to coat the predrilled & countersinked (and oversized) holes in the frames, match drilled in pairs. That way I'll be able to use fastenings of choice.

Very nice Ebb! So if one was to look into doing something like this, what "shop" does that sort of thing? And how bad wil it hurt? ($$$) Understand this question originates from a suburbanite lackey, not someone with the wherewithal of the likes of an Ebb, Mike G or Tony G... My window frames are sprayed or painted with some sort of laquer or even paint. Looked great at one time I'm sure, but they are starting to peal. Powder coating looks way cool. How long will it last?
    Mike

powder coating source

Ask at your local Harley shop , most people get their Harley frames and non chromed parts powder coated .

Thanks Mike, I'll look into it. Are Harley frames aluminum??
    Mike

I think you can powder coat any metal, Harley frames are steel .

Yup. Even galvanised. While it is a coating, it won't chip or peel. the piece has to go thru a strict series process of prep. Whether you could get 1/2 round coated and then bend it for trim, you'd have to ask. There are shops that specialize in p.c. It's often a decorative interior coating, you got to make sure they will use the most appropriate coating for exterior aps.

Been thinking Harley would be a good place to ask about bending tube. Have to let my hair go long and get some tatoos.

Wink

Hair, you still have hair ! The no hair look is in at the Harley shop too !

Where do you get powder coating. Who makes it any brands?

+ Reply to Thread