+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gooseneck

Hybrid View

The block visible in the port side view is for the out haul. The block with the red marked line in the starboard side view is for the leech reefing line.

Question System Strength

Returning to Peter’s comments on possible failure points in the boom assembly (see post # 31 above), Maika’i’s boom attachment system is now all stainless steel, whereas the original Pearson system used aluminum castings for the both the gooseneck and the gooseneck toggle. Adding the rigid vang should create a pretty strong assembly from its attachment point on the boom forward to the mast. Could the system be too strong and lead to the boom failing in a major unintended jibe? The aluminum toggle in the original system has been known to fail in such conditions and may have protected the boom. Maybe the use of a preventer in very windy downwind conditions is doubly important with stronger attachment systems.

Wink Holy Mast!

Continueing on the path to strength . . . A future project is to tap and fill with 1/4-inch long machine screws all the many holes left in the mast from old hardware. There are so many that I’m getting worried about them weakening the mast. Probably really not an issue, but . . .

Bill if I recall the vang installation correctly, would you not think the connecting point of the vang to the boom would be the weak link?......ed

aluminum holes

Say Bill,
    Why fill the holes with dissimilar metal screws?
    Probably find some aluminum 'button head' screws that would work.
    If the holes are small enough you might try some of that aluminum paste on the market.* Just don't push too much into the holes.

I, too, am very interested by what Ed means as the weak link in the vang plate connect.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

* you can use it for filling in corroded areas too in spars or fittings. While probably more cosmetic than structural it is easy to file and shape and finishes like the real stuff. Caswell 'Lab Metal' paste. {Dang, just looked it up it only comes in 24oz or something (group order?). But I know I've seen squeeze tubes somewhere: Permatex, maybe?. Good for little holes.]
    Last edited by ebb; 03-08-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Ekers
    Bill if I recall the vang installation correctly, would you not think the connecting point of the vang to the boom would be the weak link?......ed
    It appears to be a pretty strong attachment (see post #13 at http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ght=rigid+vang)
    but I guess the vang attachment at the boom could fail. Or, maybe the boom would fail at the vang attachment point?

Thumbs up that was a god send

the photo of the old gooseneck fitting shows an existing tang---or that "eye" I used that plus one on the boom itself with just one bolt thru these existing fittings----I juryrigged a gooseneck----a day later I was home

Gooseneck height

Hi Bill and Co.

I'm curious how you decided on the height to place your gooseneck Bill? I broke mine this fall and was considering building a more robust unit anyway that is fixed like yours.

Also, given that this thread was last active in 06 - how has it worked out over the years? Anything you'd change?

Thanks - Ben

+ Reply to Thread