Thread: Exterior Wood Finishes

Threaded View

Great thread, great tips, guys,
    You're probably not using gloves for the varnish, but I would for ANY two-part:
    If you are not in the field, good ole soap and water will wash off fresh epoxy. Liquid handwash dish soap ('with Grapefruit Seed Extract, Aloe & Vitamin E') works fine, must be the vitamin e. We all use latex or vinyl gloves - I get epoxy above the cuff on the lower forearms, in the hair, ALL the time and often don't get to it til after the operation is over:

Gojo type orange hand cleaners work great and the pumice helps scrub off half hard epoxy. My favorite is Permatex PARR Paint and Resin Remover in the 15 oz bottle. It's handy. It is a looser formula so you can get your hands and arms clean of the cleaner easier when you're away from water just using paper towels. Doesn't seem to have anything nasty in it.

I buy latex gloves by the box, like them because they are thin and intimate. Recently HAD to use some vinyl ones. They have a thicker smoother not-so-snug feel, yet have not found that to be a problem. When wearing gloves you are not aware of the epoxy you're getting on your hands, so I'm continualy semi-psychotically 'drying' them all the time. What I've noticed is that the vinyl wipes off MUCH easier and drier. So I don't transfer epoxy as much to handles and cups and cans and stuff. Really like the difference.
    Last edited by ebb; 02-09-2005 at 08:11 AM.