+ Reply to Thread

Thread: keel voids

Hybrid View

ebb, I have used Larch resin in aritst's oil paint formulations for restorations and to imitate the quality of old master oil paints, it seems that this natural resin plus others such as Canada balsam are very nealy the same as acrylic resin (spectographicaly). When I replaced the stainless steel rub rail I filled the many gaps in the seam where the hull meets the deck with West System mixed with filler for strength. My father who worked for Rohm & Haas thought that some of thier resins would last as long as amber with the same rate of discoloration or yellowing. When I repaired the hull on my boat the inside of fiberglass seemed like new, I bet these boats will last beyond our imagination and be used by who or whatever is around then, maybe fishermen living in mud huts along some shoreline that dos'nt exist yet, Ocean front in Kansas City.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 03-14-2006 at 07:30 AM.

"When rosy plumelets tuft the Larch"

That line from Tennyson, a voyager in the ocean of song.
    A biologist writes:
    "... Though it grows well on a limestone subsoil, it is on sloping mountain sides, where the oldest rocks of the earth's crust crumble into crystalline fragments over some brawling beck that tumble through the glen, that the Larch is seen in its greatest beauty. ...."

How often does a biologist resin poetic about a conifer? His/her alliterative prose gets the heat going on a wonderful high forest lone tree. Marvelous you can use its pungent resin for art restoration. Can dream that two part plastic aspires to similar restoration. Not only of a rare Ariel but the poor schlep's itchy soul.

Robert,
    Some time, perhaps, perhaps in the distant future,
    a space travelor will come upon a fully rigged Ariel on a cosmic rhumb to a far galaxy...
    Last edited by ebb; 03-15-2006 at 11:32 AM.

+ Reply to Thread