Here is a question: I recently lost my motor while navigating the harbor channel. I began to dream of adding oarlocks onto my boat to use in emergency situations. Has anyone given any thought to doing this or has anyone actually done the job?

I have found a source of oars made of synthetic materials with detachable blades:
http://www.nrscatalog.com/product_list.asp?deptid=237

An eight-foot oar with blades removed will slip into the cabinet beneath the sink and slide back so that the aft end rests against the bulkhead at the aft end of the cockpit. Easy storage of oars now assured, I am even more eager to build some oarlocks.

Of course one could merely screw oarlocks onto the coaming boards, but that would be inelegant, and add a tripping hazard. I want to build a removable unit that will strap to or clamp down upon the stainless steel winch platform. I have designed a unit to be made of wood, a few one-inch strips of stainless steel, and some bolts and wing nuts. The oarlocks will be mounted on this unit approximately eight inches above the winch platform to allow the oars to clear my lifelines at a steep enough angle to permit the use of eight- foot oars.

Before I begin this project, has anyone else out there installed oarlocks for rowing oars or a single oarlock for a sculling oar? And just how much fun was that?