Mike

I once contacted Gary Hoyt about his jib boom for another boat I was contemplating. It turned out that you can get a generic version of the boom from Forespar that could be installed on a commander. But there is a differance between the generic version and the Alerion version. The Alerion version has two hydraulic cylinders below deck that push the boom outboard in light air. Without them the boom will tend to fall towards the low side of the boat in very light air. If you want I will try and dig through some old e-mails to get you the person to contact to get a quote on the jib boom. You may be able to rig something to push the boom outboard in light air. And I would love to hear the report on how it worked on our commanders.

Another thing to consider is that our boats have a lower forward shroud that will limit the length of the jib boom and the size of the sail you can fit up there. On my boat the distance from the stemhead fitting to the chainplate of the forward lower shroud is approx 9 foot.