+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 147

Hybrid View

Hmmm... thanks for setting me straight. How did/will you seal that work of art?
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Hmmm... thanks for setting me straight. How did/will you seal that work of art?

In any state that is always a challenge but here in Florida it is even more so. I am using 4 coats of Cetol natural teak as a base and two coats of clear Cetol over the top. The picture does not show the finished product yet because it isn't. There are only 2 coats of natural teak finish on so far. And while some of the other Cetol products would do a better job of protecting, they muddy up the appearance so much you can't hardly tell what the wood looks like under it. In the Florida sun Cetol holds up significantly better than varnish possibly can so even the lower level of protection with the "natural teak" version is better than varnish. In addition my wife is making a full cover for Destiny for me. So when I am not sailing her she will always be under cover.

Everything about life is a compromise. I am a big fan of wood so I am willing to spend a lot more time in the off sailing season maintaining the finish on Destiny's wood parts. And the key is good maintenance.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

+ Reply to Thread