+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #331

Makes me reflect back to the very best day sailing of my life. I tried crossing from the keys to Bimini but it was into the wind and fuel was running out.About 10 knm from Bimini I aborted the crossing decided to sail up to Lake Worth inlet.The fastest,most exciting sail ever.A close reach in increasingly heay seas..Revival simply romped along, in complete control.The wind ended up aroung 22-24knts in the gulfstream.The way she handled the conditions was amazing...these are FINE offshore boats. Thanks Carl PS..love your chain plates

Che!

well-found
    well-handled
    well-favored

Che can fly
    and so can her skipper

Wow, now Che, that's awesome Sailing! Reminds me of Sailing in Mobile Bay on a very good day. I hear you West Coast guys get that wind all the time! We only get that kind of wind when I am working When we hit the water, the wind stops Oh well ... hey hows that Solar Panel working? Do yo have to use power regulator? And what all do you need power for?

Adam, what head sails do you have? I have a fair amount of sails to get rid of, including a spinaker, genoa, and some storm sails... if you need some let me know.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    Pretty crazy conditions with 12-14 ft seas and winds ranging anywhere from 15-25 Knots gusting 30 at times....
    Holy Moley!! I want to see those pictures!! Can I come sail with you??

Go Che Go

Here are a few pics from our most recent adventure...these pics were taken early on before the wind starting kicking up. It is amazing how the long period ground swell doesn't read very well on these pics...We were beating out the Main Channel and there were breakers on the North & South Bar...I had the full main up with a 140% clipping along between 5.5-6.0 knots. Monitor Windvane Steering...Life is good! As the wind picked up...we reefed in the Main still flying the 140%...Reefed Main and a 90%...and finally a Double Reefed Main and the 90%. I look forward to the next adventure...The last picture in this sequence is my buddy's boat...a Valient 32...Makes you wonder what Che was looking like from his perspective. More pics to come....
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Che; 10-31-2007 at 08:50 PM.
    ...Seremos Como El Che...

Adam, great pix.
    Your dodger flows so well with Alberg's lines, himself might have designed it.

Dodger is reminiscent of Marcel Bardiaux's Les 4 Vents who built his boat and circumnavigated singlehand via Cape Horn in the '50s.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-01-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    It is amazing how the long period ground swell doesn't read very well on these pics...
    Attempts to capture wave magnitude in photos never seems to do justice. I worked for three months on a 220' Japanese fishing trawler in the Bering Sea after grad school and my photos from the deck of 30' seas looked unremarkable.

More pictures! What a beautiful place to sail.

Go CHE Go

EBB...
    Thanks for your kind words on the Dodger...I am very pleased with how it turned out and I also think it suits the Alberg Lines. It has really transformed the way I live on and sail this boat. I especially like the angle of the two forward windows because it allows me to stand below in the Companionway...look up....and see what is going on with my sails while I am underway. It also makes for a dry ride....More pics to come....
    Attached Images  

Three Bridge Fiasco Coming Up

Just checking back in with the Forums....The Singlehanded Sailing Society's first race of the season is coming up on the 26th of Jan....Is anyone else in the Ariel contingent planning on racing? I'm excited about the upcoming season....Hope all is well with everyone....
    Attached Images  

Che's new owner

Hi all, just to let you know I will be posting updates once I get going on her in the #331 thread in the Gallery section. Adam has done a wonderful job of getting her seaworthy, I will now be setting her up for cruising. Undoubtedly I will have lots of questions from the group. I plan to re setup the motor well as well.
    Tim

Tim,
    Congradulations!
    How are things with "Che"? Very curious.
    Michael

Thanks Michael,
    Che is still happily berthed in Richardson Bay. Weather being as it has, it's has been difficult for Adam to finish clearing off they vane and for me to get much done.
    It looks as though she will remain there into Spring with me going down as much as I can (3 hours north of) to finish out some electrical work on her. Hopefully I will get some good sailing in while she is there. I had been hoping to trailer her up to my place for some more intensive finish work and outfitting, but I have as of yet to find a trailer.
    Once outfitted she will make the move up to Anacortes/Bellingham for cruising.
    Tim

Tim,
    Did you look into contacting registered user "Rico" regarding his trailer?
    He may be able to help you out.
    Michael

The work has begun

Although I haven't got much sailing in yet (weather and schedule), I have begun work on Che. First off I cut out the cover that was put on the motor well, as I will be dropping a 5hp Honda into there for the time being.

Next I have begun to reconfigure the electrical system. The batteries had been underneath the top step on a shelf, with the charger, battery switch and solar controller under the sink. I will be moving the batteries into cases under the bottom step.

The other hardware along with a new fuse panel will be located under the top step with access through the existing door. I realize that directly under the companionway is not the ideal place, the convenience of having it all together has won out.

In order to fit the batteries in boxes I had to cut down the lower drawers, but for my use they will be fine.

I will post some pics when I have it reassembled.

That's it for now, but in order to maintain the legacy,

+ Reply to Thread