+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #331

Updated Pics

Well my work on #331 is coming along...Here are a few updated pics...
    Attached Images  

One More...
    Attached Images  

Lookin GOOD !!! Neat to see different peoples ideas come to life.I build houses and could never figure out why those 'schooner builder' types call walls-cielings,but I guess when you'r heeled far enough over ,they become the cieling ! Anyhoot...keep up the good work and new ideas coming.Great to see new blood in Ariel work.

Talking Floors and ceilings

Yeah and "floors" are not what you walk on , but they hold the frames (ribs) together and attach them to the keel .
    Every pair of frames has a floor , these are bronze , the ones way aft are wood.
    Attached Images    

Talking

33yrs in construction.......now I'm really cunfused !!...but that seems to take less and less these days.What ever ya call it thats gettin done to 331...I like it.More pics please (Ariel that is)
    Last edited by frank durant; 07-27-2006 at 06:20 PM.

#331 Update

Here are a few more...Thanks for the feedback...Will keep you all posted...
    Attached Images  

#331 Update

One more...Reduce, Recycle, Reuse....you can see the blue tape in this shot...considering I took out both shelves in the main cabin..I had some nice long pieces of teak...which have been cut to size...and are now acting as trim on my Galley table...a few coats of stain and Poly and it should last for another 40 years...well maybe... I am sold on the ceiling planks...very comfy just sitting back into the curve of the Hull...More to come...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Che; 07-29-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Labor of Love

I just bought a '66 Ariel in about the same shape. Don't know the hull number yet but it's going to be worthwhile work. Eric

Labor Of Love

Sounds good Eric..
    I should have some updated pics of "Che" in the next few days...would love to see what you scored...They are fun boats to both work and sail on....Good luck

Updated Che Pictures

Here are few more pictures of Che:
    New Topside Non-Skid Paint...
    New 3/8 Lexan Windows...
    New Teak Hand Rails...
    Attached Images    
    ...Seremos Como El Che...

I was lookin at your 'before' pics.....really lookin GOOD !! While your through bolted port lights may not be as 'pretty'...they will sure be safer. That was a concern I had out in the 'big stuff'. At 3/8th in and bolted in,they gotta be strong and safe.

I agree. Looking really good. She has very clean lines and the fresh paint accentuates them. It can't be said enough, these boats just look good wether they're loaded for cruising or stripped down and in the middle of a rehab project.
    I gotta ask, did you have any issues getting the 3/8" lexan to conform to the compound curves of the cabin top? I haven't tried yet although, I've eyed the task ahead numerous times hoping to solve any problems before they happen. (yeah, right) What can I say, I'm a dreamer...

Thanks for the feedback...
    When I received the 3/8 inch Lexan from Tap Plastics...I was worried that it would not conform to the Cabin Top Contours...Surprisingly it does...I know the windows are little short of stock..however I feel good with the fact that they are overkill...and my offshore "Aqua" intake will be ZERO!! First rain is almost upon us...hopefully the boat will stay as dry as it has the past 4 months Here is another rough pic of the interior...
    Attached Images  

One more...The Bulkhead is going to be covered w/ wood this week and stained the same stain as the Ceiling Boards along the hull...will keep you posted...And I must agree...these boat look amazing! The lockers you see are in a holding pattern for now until I get my External Chainplates Installed...Hopefully sometime soon... More to come....
    Attached Images  

Looking good, Che. I'll be doing the same thing as you have done, mounting the lexan for deadlights externally.

I like your main cabin ceilings a lot, too. Nice looking grain in that wood.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

+ Reply to Thread