+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #331

Thumbs up Cool.

Whoever the prior owner was, he sure had an immagination.

I like the Chain locker mod, have been struggling to figure out how to better use this area. I like the shelf others have added, but don't want the added weight up high. That mod might be seen on #226.

The ice box cut down is a good idea too, I don't regret removing mine but that mod might be done in a way to partially achieve two of the goals of the mod (at least in my mind). I wanted to gain interior space (which the shelf he added helps). I would also think that the smaller, re-worked box could be made more weather safe, so that ice box lid would not be the liability that it seemed to me to be.

Kurt and I had discussed his plans to move his batteries fwd EXACTLY like this, just two weeks ago. It seems to me that moving the weight low, and fwd (about where many add lead) is a really good idea.

As for the stowage under the steps, well, #338's original cabin door is doing pretty much the same thing aboard #226 (thanks again Ebb). Using this space just makes too much sense to me.

Personally I would not want to remove the 'furnature' without some kind of replacement, but then as a cruiser, racer, and part time liveaboard I keep entirely too much crap aboard to do without it.

I look forward to seeing this boat come back! Good luck.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Smile My First SailBoat!!!

Just wanted to share with the community a picture of my first SailBoat. "Che" is a 1965 Pearson Ariel Hull #331. I am really glad to have found this forum and I look forward to interacting with you all in the near future. I am very interested in finding out the history of this particular boat...perhaps even reconnecting with past owners..etc. I believe Che started out in Sausalito and as chance would have it...will be back in Sausalito next week.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Che; 06-11-2006 at 09:05 PM.

331 Where have i seen that before . . . Scott Gallloway, but funny it doesnt look like the sketch

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...t=cave+drawing
    #97 "Absum!"

Thumbs up NEW OWNER for A-331

This just in. There is a new owner for A-331. His note reads:

Hi Bill...
    Just going through the Discussion section of the website I came across pictures of Ariel #331 that I just purchased from a guy in the Richmond Marina. I would be interested in getting in contact with John or anybody else that may have a bit more info on my new boat. It does need some work...but she sailed quite alright when I brought her over to Sausalito...I look forward to hearing from you....

Sincerely

Adam

Exclamation the first thing I would do

really neat fotos from the start.the worst place to put a water tank filling receptical....on the bow.if yer' going to voyage into the realm of dragons----modify the filler so as it can be filled from below deck.thats as bad as putting a fuel receptical in the cockpit floor---jus' awaitin' fer' seawater intrusion.I think nowadaize we'd call that a "design flaw"

So what's the deal with Adams buying Ariels? Alliterative Adam Ariel accquirers?

I think I know that boat

When I was living in the Bay Area in 2002, I had the idea of getting back into sailing. While looking for a small boat that I could single-hand, I saw an ad for an Ariel, and I even remember looking on this website for info (though I didn't register then). I liked the idea of a sturdy and steady boat for the San Francisco Bay, and I liked her lines, so I went for a test sail.

I didn't look for the hull number, but from the pictures here, I'm fairly certain it was the same one. The depth sounder, the drawers, battery under the berth, and the water fixture on the foredeck all look familiar. And I remember the light blue anti-slip deck which had a soft spot. What looks new is the extra V-berth insert and the trash door. Also, I don't remember so much mold on the deck, it looks like she hasn't sailed much since then.

The boat was in Sausalito at the time, and the owner's name was Lance. He was a young lawyer from the city who just bought a steel boat to sail around the world instead of trying to make partner right away. I remember he also had a Land Rover that wasn't much younger than the Ariel, so I knew he had good taste in vehicles. I assume he was the previous previous owner, meaning that the PO didn't have it for very long.

I passed up my chance to buy it because I was hoping to get him to come down the cost of a haul-out. Maybe I just didn't know the true value of an Ariel. Having since moved to Hawaii, I wonder if I would've dared to sail her here (stories anyone?--just found Eric's, well done). Anyways, I'm thinking of getting out on the water again, and I'm lurking here because that Ariel is the closest I've been to owning a boat. I never thought I'd see her again, so I had to register and share my story.
    Last edited by AndyK; 07-05-2006 at 12:18 PM.

"Louis(Andy), I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Hull #331 "Che" Update

Just wanted to share with everybody a few of the projects I have going on right now...

Should have my main cabin battens in tomorrow...and then start finishing the modified lockers. I know I am losing space with these locker designs...but I wanted to maintain both long berths. More to come...
    Attached Images  

Che #331 Update

Here are the roughed in lockers...
    Attached Images  

Thumbs up Modified Lockers

A few pics looking into the lockers...The boat is slowly coming along. I have redone the running rigging...slowly plugging away on rebedding hardware...Standing rigging will be replaced sometime soon...the list goes on. This is my first sailboat and I must say I am sold on the Ariels!!! Will keep you all posted....Any advice...thoughts...recommendations...critique's.. .are always welcome...
    Attached Images    

Looks good! I love that "bead board" or "panel" look - what's the proper term? It's nice to see another creative interior design coming together.

What are you planning on using the little nooks for? Shelving?
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

ceilings

Actually that is traditionally called a ceiling or ceiling planking when installed in a wooden boat. Gives extra strength to the hull and protects the frames and hull planking from damage from within, like if something got loose in the hold.
    On the 122' schooner I just worked on , we installed 2 1/2" thick ceiling planks.

In the photo , the lower of the three is the first of the ceiling planks, above that is the sheer clamp and above that is the beam shelf. The deck beams are fitted into and on the baem shelf.
    Attached Images  

That goes from "oh, isn't that a nice detail" to !! Truly impressive.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Wow...
    The work on that Schooner is amazing...my ceiling planks are not going to be quite as beefy but I guess the support stringers do provide some support to the Hull. I like having the ability to really lean back against the hull...find it more comfortable. As far as the lockers go...I am probably going to set up some sort of shelving system on both for food, clothes, general storage..and perhaps a bottom portion of one will be for Wet Weather Gear...and rig a drain to the Bilge...not quite sure. Will keep everyone posted...All ideas welcome...

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread