+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #331

Hybrid View

Ariel #331

We have found a boat that is not in the registry, and it’s right here in the SF Bay Area Ariel #331 was recently acquired by John Apley who, interestingly, is a live aboard on a power boat in the same marina -- Richmond’s Harbor Bay marina. Nice marina with wide concrete docks and gangways.

Sorry to report that the boat is in pretty neglected shape. I believe the former owner was aging and developing physical disabilities which eventually forced the sale of the boat.

John is just starting the cleaning and repair routine, and there’s lots of work to be done. But, one of its previous owners ("PO") made some interesting interior modifications. The PO evidently had some ideas for making things more comfortable for cruising the Bay and Delta -- definitely NOT a racer.

John, I believe, does not have internet access and may not own a computer.

Let’s begin with an outside view [Note -- We found only one small soft spot in the deck]:
    Attached Images  

Here's a view of the cockpit & mainhatch. Condition of all the exterior wood trim is poor.
    Attached Images  

View of cabin from mainhatch. Not that the hanging locker and vanity have both been removed making the quarter berths that much longer. Must have been tall people. [Note -- Door also is gone from the companionway.]
    Attached Images  

The PO added lead just aft of the head. Also, the original pigs are stuffed way forward in the bilge. Appears there may be an extra 200 pounds of ballast. Should really stiffen up the boat
    Attached Images  

Forcabin bunk & chain locker. Not insert to make bunk larger.
    Attached Images  

View of chain locker and added bulkhead. Chain was kept in the forward most compartment and there is a hawsepipe fitting above. The blue hose in the H2O hose going to the water tank.
    Attached Images  

Smile My First SailBoat!!!

Just wanted to share with the community a picture of my first SailBoat. "Che" is a 1965 Pearson Ariel Hull #331. I am really glad to have found this forum and I look forward to interacting with you all in the near future. I am very interested in finding out the history of this particular boat...perhaps even reconnecting with past owners..etc. I believe Che started out in Sausalito and as chance would have it...will be back in Sausalito next week.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Che; 06-11-2006 at 09:05 PM.

331 Where have i seen that before . . . Scott Gallloway, but funny it doesnt look like the sketch

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...t=cave+drawing
    #97 "Absum!"

Che, after I sent you the message, I looked up your boat. It looks very nice from the first photo. do you have any more? So you sail out in California? Man I hear the wind is awesome there. I do miss the open water.... but at least we're sailing.
    How's the inside look?
    mike

13.6 Knots

Pictures to come....Had a great sail this past weekend out on the ocean. Pretty crazy conditions with 12-14 ft seas and winds ranging anywhere from 15-25 Knots gusting 30 at times. Che handled the conditions wonderfully. We beat out about 30 miles and then had a wonderful broad reach back in. I had no idea how well these boats surf!!! We averaged 7.5 knots on the ride back in...and it was a wild ride...as I mentioned the GPS was showing a consistent 7.5 knots but with a double reefed main + working Jib....we were coming off some waves at 10...11 knots...with our max speed topping out at 13.6knots!!!! These little boats are right at home in the big stuff....and with the Dodger + Weather cloth additions to my boat...It was a rather dry ride...Pics to come...
    ...Seremos Como El Che...

Makes me reflect back to the very best day sailing of my life. I tried crossing from the keys to Bimini but it was into the wind and fuel was running out.About 10 knm from Bimini I aborted the crossing decided to sail up to Lake Worth inlet.The fastest,most exciting sail ever.A close reach in increasingly heay seas..Revival simply romped along, in complete control.The wind ended up aroung 22-24knts in the gulfstream.The way she handled the conditions was amazing...these are FINE offshore boats. Thanks Carl PS..love your chain plates

Che!

well-found
    well-handled
    well-favored

Che can fly
    and so can her skipper

Wow, now Che, that's awesome Sailing! Reminds me of Sailing in Mobile Bay on a very good day. I hear you West Coast guys get that wind all the time! We only get that kind of wind when I am working When we hit the water, the wind stops Oh well ... hey hows that Solar Panel working? Do yo have to use power regulator? And what all do you need power for?

Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    Pretty crazy conditions with 12-14 ft seas and winds ranging anywhere from 15-25 Knots gusting 30 at times....
    Holy Moley!! I want to see those pictures!! Can I come sail with you??

Go Che Go

Here are a few pics from our most recent adventure...these pics were taken early on before the wind starting kicking up. It is amazing how the long period ground swell doesn't read very well on these pics...We were beating out the Main Channel and there were breakers on the North & South Bar...I had the full main up with a 140% clipping along between 5.5-6.0 knots. Monitor Windvane Steering...Life is good! As the wind picked up...we reefed in the Main still flying the 140%...Reefed Main and a 90%...and finally a Double Reefed Main and the 90%. I look forward to the next adventure...The last picture in this sequence is my buddy's boat...a Valient 32...Makes you wonder what Che was looking like from his perspective. More pics to come....
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Che; 10-31-2007 at 08:50 PM.
    ...Seremos Como El Che...

+ Reply to Thread